A common stumbling block for small businesses is the creation of a new website. Or the updating of an old website. I've seen people waiting for months while a friend or relative "builds them a site" .Or spend thousands of dollars on a custom, hand built site where every change has to be done by the developer for a fee.
Would not it be great to update and change it yourself. Anytime you like.
The traditional way of building a website is to go to a web developer, who creates a custom built website for you using HTML, CSS, PHP, or some other type of alphabet soup.
You may be competent enough to find a competent person who has your best interests at heart, and will create a site that meets all your requirements.
Or you may be unlucky enough to be dealing with a prima donna wearing a web developer's hat, which main aim is use your money to build a monument to their artistic skills.
You can generally recognize these people by their statements that your website "must be unique, different, and offer an amazing user experience."
You'll then be tied down to weeks (or months) of consultation and planning, with many thousands of dollars of expense. And almost certain additional expenses whenever you want to make any changes – which only their staff can perform.
In my opinion, 95% of small business websites can be set up and maintained with WordPress – an open source package that powers millions of successful blogs and websites.
My own website is powered by WordPress. I've installed a theme called "Atahualpa" – which is a free theme that allows pretty well unlimited control over colors, fonts, graphics, and many other things.
If you have an existing website that needs a makeover, you can easily install WordPress and have it "invisible" while you create your new look. The WordPress site can then be added to your exiting website via a link – or even replace your old website entirely.
Why You Should Consider WordPress
Here's some more reasons why you should consider using WordPress for your website:
- Easy installation from most hosting Accounts
- Quick and Simple to change the entire look of your website. Choose from thousands of free and paid themes.
- Use as a normal website, or blog, or both
- If you can use a Word Processor, you can add content and manage the website.
- It's free to set up and use. Or you can pay someone to do it for you.
- Anyone with minimal technical ability can easily set up and maintain it if you do not want to.
- Google LOVES WordPress sites – and will quickly find and list your site
- It's easy to update content for Search Engine Optimization purposes
- It can be set up to post content just by sending an email – great for updating your blog when you are on the move.
- Wide range of add-ons (mostly free) that extend the features of the base installation
- Latest version of WordPress is very easy to update – unlike earlier versions.
Setting Up a WordPress Website.
You can set up a WordPress website for free yourself.
If you have some basic technical skills, you should be able to have everything up and running in a couple of hours.
Most web hosts have Fantastico, which allows you to install WordPress very easily. Or you can do a manual install using the files from WordPress.org
If you want to make some changes to a WordPress theme, it's usually very easy if you have some knowledge of HTML and CSS.
If you do not have the skills, I'd say that most people would be able to pick them up in several hours of doing tutorials and exercises that are freely available on the internet. Just do a Google Search for "Installing WordPress", and "Installing WordPress Themes".
If you do not have the time or inclining to learn how to do this, just about any competent technical person should be able to do it for you.
Source by Eric Graudins